Antique hayloft in the -National Park Monti Sibillini 700 Mt altitude , 7 km from lake Fiastra , beach and canoes, Trekking up to Monte Vettore (45 min away) Assisi and Perugia (45 minutes) Castelluccio di Norcia (40 minutes) Sea beach (Civitanova Marche 50km ) Three bedrooms Terrance personal sauna Spacious home with 3 bedrooms large living room, large kitchen / dining room, large panoramic balconies with 1000 sq meter garden, pond, detached sauna with relax area , barbecue
the house is located in a very small village (4 houses ) mostly lived during summer at a 700 meters of altitude
the nearest town is 4km away and is Pieivebovigliana ;
The whole of Italy in one village: its art, history and countryside
Pievebovigliana is typical of the little communities to found everywhere in the Italian peninsula. Although every historical period has left its mark, we still have a countryside that is gloriously untouched . Life here carries on at an unhurried pace that is in perfect harmony with its surroundings. The charm of Pievebovigliana lies in the fact that it has always been a cultural crossroads. With its streams, lakes and spacious valleys set between rolling hills and tall mountains, it typifies the landscape of the foothills on the Adriatic side of the Appenine chain. In one direction the valleys open out towards the fertile plains of Le Marche whereas in the opposite direction the same valleys lead first, to the high pasture lands and then, upwards to the magical world of the Sibillini mountains. Part of our commune is in the National Park of the Sibillini Mountains.
Chiesa di San Giusto in San Maroto
Pievebovigliana has been settled from prehistoric times. In the archaeological section of the ‘R. Campelli’ museum at the Town Hall there are some stone artefacts of paleolithic origin. A tomb found near San Francesco testifies to the presence of settled populations going back to the 7th century BC. Also on display in the local museum are numerous ( 4th to 3rd century BC ) finds from Monte San Savino that confirm the existence of a Piceni settlement in an area of high ground probably occupied for defensive purposes. The abundance of ceramic and other imported goods is evidence of the commercial importance of the entire area, which was a meeting place for four coeval cultures: Celtic, Greek, Etruscan and Italic. The present day name ‘Pievebovigliana’ is derived from the medieval place name Plebs Boveliani ( possibly people of the oxen ) and is indicative of either Gallic or Roman origins. Like other scattered Gallic settlements it became first, a Roman pagus (village ) and then, a Christian plebs ( people). However, there is no doubt that the building which was discovered in 1964 at San Giovanni dell’Isola belongs to the Roman imperial era and was probably used in connection with taking the spa waters. The medieval period had a great influence on the area and witnessed the passage of saints, popes and mercenary captains. Battles were fought, conspiracies hatched and poets and writers found their inspiration here. The church of San Giusto at San Maroto , one of the most important romanesque buldings in Le Marche belongs to this period. Its particular structural form has given rise to many theories as to its origin. Most experts believe it was built ca. 1000 AD, but some maintain that its central dome, built without formwork, dates back to Carolingian times. The monastery of San Francesco at Pontelatrave goes back to the saint of the same name who, in 1215 on one of his visits to Le Marche, spent the night in a nearby wood. An episode in ‘the little flowers of St. Francis’ is associated with the construction of the monastery; he is held to have changed the water of the well into wine in order to slake the thirst of the workmen engaged in building the original structure. The present complex of church and monastery was constructed at the end of the 14th century. The late medieval period also saw the building of the convent of San Pietro di Pompeiano , close to the monastery, but now unfortunately no longer in existence.
Beldiletto nella valle del Chienti
Between 1371 and 1381, the Da Varano , lords of Camerino, built on the plain the castle of Beldiletto, a sumptuous and splendid summer residence befitting this powerful dynasty . In 1382 Luigi I of Anjou and Amadeus IV of Savoy stayed in its richly frescoed rooms. In 1419 the castle was taken by Carlo Malatesta , Lord of Rimini, in a battle against the Da Varano. Subsequently, he in turn, was defeated by the Lords of Camerino with the help of Braccio da Montone. In 1510 Pope Giulio II stayed here with his entire retinue comprising seven Cardinals and 200 mounted men. The site of the former castle of Pievebovigliana, is dominated today by the massive structure of the medieval church of Santa Maria Assunta -restored in the 18th and 19th century and containing an 11th century romanesque crypt. The castle was destroyed by the troops of the Duchess Caterina Cibo who was engaged in a dynastic battle for the control of the Da Varano dominions. Franco Sacchetti , author of the Trecentonovelle and one of the greatest of the Italian medieval writers found inspiration in Pievebovigliana. In one of his stories he describes the adventures of some soldiers from Pievebovigliana who, having enlisted in the army of Gentile of Camerino -grandson of Rodolfo Da Varano , were sent to attack the city of Matelica. Sachetti’s witty and probably accurate description does not spare the inhabitants of Pievebovigliana; the soldiers got drunk, vanquished a haystack and were captured whilst busy picking cherries. The strategic importance of Pievebovigliana is shown in a document of 1218 whereby Archbishop Atto of Camerino confims certain privileges and possessions (lands, vines, mills and woodlands) on his incumbent in Pieve and the control of some thirty one churches.
Pievebovigliana nei primi anni del novecento
The last few centuries are notable only for a deafening silence as to events in Pievebovigliana and its surrounds, possibly because these years were spent within a Papal State. In this connection about the end of the 15th century Mariana, mother of Pope Sisto V, was born in Frontillo – one of Pieve’s outlying villages. The population grew steadily from 1,800 inhabitants at the end of the 16th century to a maximum of 2,259 by 1901. The second half of the 19th century saw the expansion of all the outlying villages and the construction of some palaces and fine country houses. The start of the 20th century brought about a marked decline in the population as this little backwater was actually suffering a decline as a result of the economic growth that was taking place elsewhere in Italy. The old industries such as weaving had all disappeared for good ( in 1890 there were 61 looms whose production had been almost exclusively for local consumption). Hemp had been grown to supply fulling-mills and dyeworks . At the end of the 19th century there were eight brick ovens producing more than 200,000 bricks a year and employing some 25 workers. Today, some impressive ruins are all that remains of these brickworks. In order to make up their incomes, many small farmers had to join the seasonal migration towards the countryside round Rome by taking the old traditional tracks to the summer pastures where they became day labourers. In the first decade of the 20th century, when this seasonal migration started to decline, the people of Pievebovigliana began to emigrate overseas in increasing numbers, especially to the Americas.
A third phase of emigration began in the fifties when significant numbers began to leave for Rome which was becoming increasingly important as the capital city. Nevertheless during the 19th and at the beginning of the 20th century life was not without interest in Pievebovigliana; there were some notable individuals such as Stefano Cianni. He was a local figure who built his business in the Jacobin first half of the 19th century. He opened a fulling mill and a dyeworks that employed four workers. By the end of the century, the dyeworks, where cloth was coloured using chemically obtained dyes, was being managed by his sons Giovanni and Osmirda. Their work was famous for its quality throughout the province. At this point Osmirda opened a photographic laboratory and a small plant to produce cutlery and surgical instruments. The end of the 19th century also saw the foundation by the two Varnelli brothers , Girolamo and Giovanni, of the distillery which still produces today the famous Amaro Sibilla and the L’Anice Secco Speciale. Nazzareno Morosi, who was an early pioneer in electrical engineering, began in the twenties to bring electricity to Pievebovigliana and the numerous surrounding villages. His grid expanded rapidly and even reached places as far afield as the villages surrounding Foligno, Sarnano and Amandola.
For those interested in archaeology
This section of the museum was restored and opened to the public in 1999. It houses a collection of the discoveries found in the area, starting in the 1930?s and ending with the latest digs which were carried out in the 1990′s at the Monte San Savino site. In addition to the pottery artefacts there is the Fiordimonte inscription , which was at first identified as written by the Senoni and therefore, one of the oldest and rarest celtic stone inscriptions in Italy ( other historians maintain that it is of medieval origin ). Also on display are a bead made of yellow glass with the remains of two male bearded faces ( of Phoenecian-Punic origin), a female head of clay, probably an architectural fragment which dates from the middle Italic period in the 2nd and 3rd centuries BC, a clay sheet with raised decoration that was also probably an architectural feature – indicating a highly romanised area.
For those interested in art and art history
The castle of Pievebovigliana
There are still some remains of the castle which was destroyed in 1528. The outlines of the ancient fortification in the form of a ship are still perfectly visible. The old medieval town plan can still be seen in the disposition of the houses which have all been restored and discerned in the picturesque streets and stairways.
The Church of Santa Maria Assunta and the Roman Crypt
A particular feature of this complex is the presbytery which was built in the 19th century on to the front of the church itself whose origins , as shown by the apsidal grouping, go back to the romanesque period . Inside there are paintings by Luigi Valeri ( the Madonna of Constantinople) and by Girolamo and Antonio Aspri, all 18th and 19th century works. The 11th century crypt has five aisles, three apses and four rows of columns of Roman origin – all with different capitals. There is also a 15th century fresco of Santa Lucia by a pupil of Arcangelo di Cola, the Master of Gaglianvecchio.
The Church of the Rosario
The church was consecrated in 1600. It contains a 17th century fresco and a painting attributed ( probably incorrectly) to Luigi Valeri but painted circa 1765 : Madonna with child and St Anna , John the Baptist, Carlo Borromeo and the angels.
The Town Hall Museum ‘Raffaele Campelli’
The museum was founded in 1936 by Monsignor Raffaele Campelli. Today it is housed in the Town Hall . It contains a crucifix by The Master of Gaglianvecchio , The Madonna of Constantinople by an anonymous 16th century Umbrian Painter, a 1530 painting of angel musicians by Venanzo da Camerino and a Madonna of Loreto with Saints by Simone de Magistris. Some of the statuary in the museum was shown in 2002 exhibition in Camerino entitled : The 15th century in Camerino – a look at the heartlands of Le Marche. These included a wooden figure of San Sebastian by an anonymous marchegiano sculptor, a head of the Virgin in polychromatic terracotta from the Abruzzi and a head of the Redeemer also in terracotta . The council chamber was designed by Gino Marotta and contains pictures by the same artist. The adjacent room houses a collection of woodcuts by Maria Ciccotti.
The Church of the Madonna della Pecciana
This tiny chapel on the road to Fiastra goes back to the 18th century.
The Castle and Parish Church of Roccamaia
On the back wall at the left of the altar there is an early 16th century fresco fragment ( possibly by Venanzio da Camerino ) which depicts the Madonna della Misericordia.
This is an important 19th century rural residence complete with stables, outbuildings and garden built by Nicola Fani a country gentleman born in Muccia in 1811. Some of the rooms still contain frescoes.
The ‘Dovecote’ Tower and the Marchetti palace at Campi
The palace dates from the 15th century. The tower on the other hand probably goes back to the 14th century. It is built of local sandstone obviously for defensive purposes in connection with the Beldiletto castle not far below.
The Church and Monastery of San Francesco
The church with its fully trussed nave is of 14th century construction, whereas the monastery was re-built in the 18th century. Inside the church there is a 19th century reproduction of the13th century crucifix that according to local tradition was given to the monastery by St Francis himself and which was destroyed by fire in 1892. Recently some frescoes have been discovered in the apse and along the side walls – dated 1393 and signed Cola di Pietro. Another fresco which depicts the Madonna della Misericordia is attributed to Giovanni Angelo Antonio.
The Castle of Beldiletto
The castle which was built at the end of the 14th century by Giovanni Da Varano and was transformed in the second half of the following century into a magnificent renaissance palace. The building, rectangular in shape with a tower on each corner, was originally surrounded by a deep and wide moat. Internally the building opens out into a courtyard with a first floor loggia supported by octagonal columns and two centred gothic arches – the whole in red and white stonework. In the largest of the rooms there are the remains of an enormous 15th century fresco cycle depicting horsemen ( 60 in total) including Roberto il Guiscardo, his son Ruggero, the king of Naples and Tancredi d’Altavilla. This is a direct reference to the world of chivalry and its celebration in epic poetry.
The Roman Bridge at Pontelatrave
The bridge which was built in the 14th century was constructed on Roman foundations dating from the 1st century AD.
The Castello di Colvenale
The ancient castle of the Monaldeschi family which was ceded to the Commune of Camerino in the 13th century, is ideally placed to control the road to the Sibilline mountains . Over the years it has gradually fallen into ruin.
The church of San Giovanni at Isola
The church and its adjoining presbytery are medieval structures. Externally, on the long elevation, there is a 14th century portico supported on small octagonal brick columns. At the corners there are bricks showing the monogram of St Bernard.
The ‘Filippo Marchetti’ Villa
This fine country house at Gallazzano was built in the second half of the 19th century and was the residence of Filippo Marchetti , who was a famous composer of the time and was president of the Royal Academy of Santa Cecilia in Rome and music teacher to Queen Margaret of Savoy.
The Church at San Giusto
The church with its domed roof was built between the 11th and 12th centuries on a circular plan, which is held to indicate Roman rather than Byzantine influences. The whole structure is a fine example of geometric balance which gives an elegant resolution to the structural forces. The tower, which was added at a later date, contains frescoes dating from the 13th to the 15th century. The interior of the church houses a painting by Venanzo da Camerino ( Madonna del Rosario) and a Madonna enthroned with child – from the second half of the 13th century.
The Church of Santa Maria Maddalena
This little church is in an isolated position on the mountain of the same name. It goes back to the Romanesque period and the fresco fragments inside, depicting a Crucifixion with Mary Magdalene and some angel heads, are attributed to Cola Di Pietro.
Valfornace, Marche, Italy