Suggestions will show after typing in the search input. Use the up and down arrows to review. Use enter to select. If the selection is a phrase, that phrase will be submitted to search. If the suggestion is a link, the browser will navigate to that page.
Experience Host

Experiences involving food in Singapore

As an experience host, you get to share your passion with travellers from around the world. This article can help you share your passion responsibly. You design and control your experience listing, what service you offer, when and where you host, and what you charge. It is your responsibility to be aware of and comply with all legal and regulatory requirements when hosting your experience.

You can use this article as a starting point for learning about local laws or regulations that may apply to your experience, but it doesn’t constitute legal or tax advice. We’re also not responsible for the reliability or accuracy of the sources we’ve linked to, so we encourage you to double-check the sources and seek your own legal advice. We don’t update this information in real time, so you should always confirm that the laws or procedures haven’t changed recently.

This page contains information about responsible hosting in Singapore. We also have articles that contain general information about hosting experiences anywhere in the world, which you can find in the Responsible hosting section of our Help Center.

Food guidelines for experiences in Singapore

Your guest’s health and safety should always come first. For example, it would be a good idea to take your guests to or otherwise serve them food from, reputable restaurants, or reputable professional caterers who keep clean facilities and use fresh ingredients. Also ask your guests in advance about any food allergies they may have, or religious or philosophical codes that may impact what kind of food they eat.

The following food experience is unlikely to trigger any regulatory issues in Singapore:

  • Inviting your guests to your home or studio where you serve food that is cooked by someone else in a licensed facility (for example, take-out from your favorite local restaurants, food catered by a professional licensed caterer).

If you’d like to serve home-cooked food (including drinks or beverages) to guests visiting your home, you should consider the requirements imposed by the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) and the Housing Development Board (HDB) on Home Based Small Businesses.For instance, no workers may be employed, the activities have to be small scale in operation and should not pose any danger or cause any nuisance (e.g. noise, smoke) to the other residents.

Additionally, the Singapore Food Agency (SFA) has published a Good Food Hygiene Tips guide for residents preparing food under the above URA or HDB schemes, which you should abide by. You must also comply with the rules and regulations of the Fire Safety and Shelter Department requirements for Home Offices found here.

If you are unsure as to whether your experience qualifies as a Home Based Small Business, we encourage you to reach out to the URA or HDB or speak to your lawyer to make sure you are following the laws.

Under the EPHA, you may be required to obtain a Food Shop licence if you are considered to be operating a "food establishment". Under the EPHA, "food" includes drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic). The use of any premises for the commercial preparation of food or for sale of food by retail or for providing a catering service may require a Food Shop licence. Licensees are also required to comply with various requirements under the Environmental Public Health (Food Hygiene) Regulations including having the individuals who are involved in the preparation and handling of food complete a food hygiene course before allowing them to prepare or handle food.

If your experience qualifies as a Home Based Small Business, it is unlikely that you will be required to obtain a Food Shop licence. We encourage you to reach out to the Singapore Food Agency or speak to your lawyer to confirm that this is the case. You should be aware that there is potential criminal liability for failure to obtain the requisite Food Shop licence which may include financial penalties and/or jail.

Did this article help?
Get help with your reservations, account and more.
Log in or sign up