Suggestions will show after typing in the search input. Use the up and down arrows to review. Use enter to select. If the selection is a phrase, that phrase will be submitted to search. If the suggestion is a link, the browser will navigate to that page.


When deciding whether to become an Airbnb Host, it's important for you to understand the laws in your city and/or province. As a platform and marketplace we don't provide legal advice, but we want to provide some useful links that may help you better understand laws and regulations in Quebec.

This list isn't exhaustive, but it should give you a good start in understanding your local laws. If you have questions, contact the CITQ, The Tourism Ministry, the Régie du logement, other agencies directly, or consult a local lawyer or tax professional.

Airbnb doesn’t update this article in real time and isn’t responsible for the reliability or correctness of the information contained in any links to third party sites. Please check each source and make sure that the information provided hasn’t recently changed.


In the province of Quebec, the law provides a distinction between those providing a tourist accommodation in their principal residence and those providing a tourist accommodation outside of their principal residence. Anyone who wants to provide accommodation to tourists for periods of 31 days or less must have a registration number issued by the CITQ.

To obtain a registration number:

  • Hosts must first obtain a notice of compliance signed by their local municipality. Find out more about how to complete the notice here.
  • Once the notice is completed, Hosts will then need to register with CITQ and submit the required documents, including proof of at least CAD 2 million in liability insurance.
    • Hosts who provide tourist accommodations in their principal residence are considered principal residence establishments and should apply for a registration using this form.
    • Hosts who provide tourist accommodations outside their principal residences are considered general tourist accommodation establishments and should apply for a registration using this form.
  • Hosts are required to pay a fee to complete the registration process, and an annual renewal fee thereafter
  • The CITQ will issue a registration in the form of a written certificate that must be posted on the building. The registration is valid for 12 months from the date of issuance.

You can consult Quebec’s Ministry of Tourism website for details on how to file an application with the CITQ.

The law requires all Hosts to display their registration number and expiry date on their listing. For more information on how to find the relevant information on your registration certificate, visit the establishment number display guide. Once you’ve registered, you will need to submit three things to Airbnb:

  • Go to Listings, select the listing you want to add the registration number for, and add the number under Regulations.
  • Submit the expiry date displayed on your registration certificate to your listing.
  • Upload the registration certificate PDF for the registration number you submitted to Airbnb.

Hosts are required to maintain an active registration in order to continue hosting short-term stays. It is your responsibility to keep your registration active and renew it on time. Listings with expired registrations will be blocked from hosting short-term stays.

Municipal Regulations

A permit or certificate may be required by certain municipalities. You should review these requirements with local officials to determine if they apply to your activity.

Zoning by-laws

Some zoning by-laws in a municipality in the province of Quebec may apply to your listing. We recommend that you check with your local municipality to determine whether your listing is impacted by such regulations.

Rent control

In Quebec, rent increases may be subject to the rent control system administered by the Quebec Régie du logement pursuant to standards set out in the Regulation Respecting the Criteria for the Fixing of Rent. You should review these standards carefully if you plan to collect or adjust rent. More information on rent control is available here.


Under an Act respecting the Quebec sales tax, a tax on lodging applies each time an accommodation unit is rented for more than six hours and up to 31 consecutive days in most tourism regions in Quebec, including Montreal, as explained on the Revenu Québec website. The province of Quebec and the municipalities collect various other taxes that may apply to residents renting out accommodation units. Find more information on provincial administration of taxes and municipal taxes for Montreal.

Please note that since October 1, 2017, Airbnb has been automatically collecting the 3.5% tax on lodging on behalf of Airbnb Hosts. This tax is collected on all bookings that are fewer than 30 consecutive days made on the Airbnb platform in any of Quebec’s 22 tourist regions and is remitted to the Province of Quebec. For more information on this collection agreement, visit the Revenu Québec website.


In Québec, the operator of a tourist accommodation establishment under the Tourist Accommodation Act must take out and maintain civil liability insurance for at least $2,000,000 per claim that covers bodily injury and property damage caused in the course of operation of the establishment. The coverage afforded by the Host Liability Insurance Policy does not satisfy this requirement. Hosts are solely responsible for obtaining all minimum liability insurance required by law.

Other rules

It is also important to understand and abide by other contracts or rules that bind you, such as leases, condo board or co-op rules, HOA rules, or rules established by tenant organizations. Please read your lease agreement and check with your landlord if applicable.

Did this article help?

Related articles

Get help with your reservations, account and more.
Log in or sign up