Ok, in these circumstances when you find someone as manipulative as these two it is hard not to get into a argument in the comment section of your own airbnb page. I do hope that i can maintain my cool and not go off on a rant about these particular scam artists, but no promises, haha.
I do however suggest that you don't base your entire opinion of me and my home on the likes of these two, whom although I gratefully never got to meet, but were described by close trusted friends using such adjectives as psychopathic. But instead read all the other comments that I have received, so you can make an accurate unbiased decision when choosing a place that will suit you best in LA. Long story short, from my perspective, all I know is that these guests are the absolute worst guests that I have ever had! and a lot of what they have said is unjustified, or said in a very bias way in order to inflict damage on me because I wasn't prepared to give these two cons a discount. There are unfortunately people in the airbnb community who try and take advantage of our good nature, by blackmail and threats and you are witnessing two here. I will now address each item that they have mentioned in point form in order to shed some light on this situation.
1. Yes, I emailed them the night before through the airbnb site with all check in info, I figured this was the best way as they did not have a U.S. phone number and email is usually best for most people.
2.Yes, they contacted me by phone, when they were an hour away, to which I replied immediately, and continued explaining the check in process in detail, (They txted on an international number, so each txt was costing me $. This isn't such a big deal, but it shows that I wasn't just leaving them to fend for themselves on the street as they would suggest)
3. I was out of town that weekend, but had left the keys for them and several contact numbers for them to call if they had any trouble at all, plus I would be reachable for the 1st 24hrs. The only reason I wouldn't be available the next 2 days following is because I was on a "silent" meditation retreat, to which we weren't allowed phones.
4. In regards to this not being a luxury apartment. Please just refer to the images and decide for yourself. People have different standards of luxury, but I think the place is luxurious, especially for LA.
5. As they mentioned I have several rooms in this 3 bedroom penthouse. On occasion I rent out one of the other guest rooms on airbnb and on occasions I rent out my own room and adjust the picture accordingly, so what you see is what you get EVERY time. At this particular time I had rented my room, the master bedroom which is also the nicest most comfortable room. (I did however tell them months in advance that I myself would not be there, but I would do my best to be reachable and leave the contact for someone who can help with anything they need.)
6. One of the tenants was looking after his mum's dog for the night (Just one night.) He was a beautiful King Charles Spaniel, the dog was gone by the next day, but if the guest had had a problem with the dog, we could have left the pup at the next door neighbours, since they, like myself are animal lovers.
(Im not sure about any dog droppings. The tenant who owned the dog must have picked them up off the terrace as soon as he came home later that day.)
7. In regards to the "filthy kitchen" When I had left the apartment only a few hours earlier, it was spotless, which it always is before I have guests arrive. I was very concerned as to what had happened after I had left, as this was very unusual, so I contacted Jim who lived there who didn't know what the guests were talking about, the only thing he could think of is he likes to make some coffee throughout the day on the stove and had neatly placed his pot and cup in the sink after he finished. Then had to run out for a couple of errands, upon his return, he would have found the 2 items were clean (As we all help eachother out in this house,) we dont stress about who's who's etc. He then made some more coffee and neatly placed the pot in the sink again, while he sat out on the deck to drink it. (The only reason he didn't put it in the dishwasher provided is because he uses these items quite regularly throughout the day. Shortly after, the guests came home and started to interrogate him about it. He had never met these two before and the male guest had previously had throat cancer or something similar, so it was quite a shock to start being interrogated by a sickly pale old man with a hoarse almost robotic voice, but Jim despite this unpleasant experience endured the unnecessary ranting and was polite the whole time.)
8. I dont even want to talk about the fridge, this is one of the only places they could find in the house with enough grounds to try and extort us for discounts. They were searching for anything wrong with the place and found a bit of food residue in the bottom of the vegetable bin, to which they quickly cleaned and demanded a hefty refund without contacting me 1st to get my cleaner in, or to just ask jim, who could have easily attended to this very minor situation. As I wanted to compromise I offered a smaller discount, to which they declined and threatened to contact Airbnb for a full refund.
Please contact me directly with any further questions you might have, I'd be happy to help and I can usually reply within 24hrs.