Captains Rest is my pride and joy, my haven of peace and serenity in a stunning secluded slice of world heritage area that I love most in the world. It has been designed, renovated and decorated with love and delight with objects and furnishings from around Australia and the world.
We spend months here on end, reading in front of the fire, taking long baths, walking in the forest, swimming, fishing, dreaming, loving — and like us, you'll never want to leave.
Captains Rest is a generous spot for 2. Our bed looks out the antique windows to the water — as does our restored clawfoot bath. She's large with everything we need to luxuriate, and the Nectre wood stove keeps us cozy.
If you have (SENSITIVE CONTENTS HIDDEN), you can follow both our guests and our personal stays at @captainsrest
Captains Rest is all yours, and the space around it is shared by all our fellow shack owners. Sometimes the area around our shack is quite, sometimes its a hive of fishing, photography, boat building and community.
Feel free to respectfully use the space around the cabin and the jetty in front of her, its a great spot for a morning coffee or a sunset wine. If you spot a fisherman coming in with a catch, they will usually always sell you a fresh fish, just make sure he cleans it up for you!
Interaction with guests
We live interstate, so we are hands-off hosts, however we take great pride in making sure your stay is out of this world.
Other things to note
Please note, Captains Rest is not suitable for children or pets due to the delicate nature of its furnishings, and the hazards of the water out front.
We also only have a step in bath with a shower attachment — so this listing might not suit those who prefer to shower or have mobility issues.
It is essential for our guests to have travel insurance. Very occasionally, during the winter months roads can close temporarily due to snow or ice disrupting travel plans. As this is a travel issue rather than an issue with our listing, we don't issue refunds or extend stays due to usually being fully booked — and recommend you contact your insurer to assist with the cost of disrupted travel arrangements.
- Food & drink is to be kept to the kitchen table or to the bench seat near the french doors.
- Any theft or malicious damage will be reported to the local police, no matter how big or small.
- no candles at Captains Rest
- The wood stove should only be used by guests who know how to operate a wood heater, we also have a wall heater if not.
- No parties or events, just a quiet space for our guests only.
- General respect for our incredible property, please leave it as you found it.
- Use of this property, its boat, jetties and the common grounds at Lettes Bay Historical Village is at guests own risk.
- We recommend you get travel insurance, during the winter months the roads around Tasmania can close due to snow and ice disrupting travel plans, flights, access and accommodation. Should this be the case, the cost of your stay will can not be refunded by us and should be pursued through your insurance.
Im a creative director, who lives and works in remote Australia on projects im passionate about. Im currently based in Alice Springs and Tasmania but I am often on the move!
I love AirBnb, meeting all the lovely hosts, and enjoying the spaces that mean so much to them. Im always happy to share a drink and connect — the world is an amazing place, and amazing people are around every corner. I really look forward to returning the hospitality if your ever in my part of the world!
Oh — ive been instructed to list five things I cant live without. My wife, my italian greyhounds, the sea and sailing, wine/whisky (how can you ask me to choose?) and exploring anything and everything.