Beautiful, private, comfortable studio adjacent to my unique mid-century time capsule, Helios House. Experience unbelievable infinity views of open desert and mountains, perfect for stargazing and relaxing from your patio, outdoor lounge /bbq area or fire pit! Unique, circular bathroom and king bed with view! Take in peace, comfort, wildlife, silence and unforgettable starlight. The studio offers a perfect private scenic getaway only 10-11 minutes from the amenities of Joshua Tree village.
Beautiful, comfortable, well equipped and fully self-contained studio adjacent to my mid-century Joshua Tree desert time capsule, Helios House. The property sits on 10 acres of land where you can experience infinity views of the desert and the mountains; and at night you can gaze up at a million twinkling stars that feel about an arms-length away from your own outdoor relaxation space with own patio, outdoor lounge and dining area and fire pit. Experience peace, quiet, wildlife and endless starscape in style — on the grid but off the beaten track only 12 minutes from entrance to the national park
Helios House's studio is well equipped and every detail has ben thoughtfully considered. It has its own private entrance, parking, meditation platform, outdoor lounge, dining area fire pit and patio. Inside, it features an extremely comfortable king-size bed), a spacious stylish dining table, as well as kitchen with full size fridge/freezer, enamel kitchen sink, double hotplate, toaster oven and coffee-maker, cooking utensils, vintage enamel plates, beautiful glassware and everything you'll need to cook a nice meal. There’s also a fiendishly cool, and totally unexpected circular bathroom with original mid century features and concrete flooring. There are plenty of brand new sheets, blankets and towels and the studio has air-conditioning plus a heater for those chillier desert nights. Feel free to use the BBQ (bring your own gas, or contact me and I'll supply for a small fee)
This is a magical time capsule and very private. It’s the perfect escape from the big city and offers the kind of serenity only the open desert can offer. After 5 minutes absorbing the special energy here, one’s shoulders instantly relax. This is the perfect place to reboot your hard drive
You will witness wild animals in their native habitat. The cottontail rabbits, cactus wrens, lizards, desert tortoises, jackrabbits, coyotes, owls and roadrunners that make the desert their home make a visit to The studio at Helios House all the more special.
Helios House feels remote, but is only 12 minutes from Joshua Tree and is about 2 hours and 15 minutes from LA and 45 minutes east of Palm Springs. There are plenty of cool places to visit within a short drive, including the extraordinary Joshua Tree National Park which must be seen at least once in life to truly appreciate its majestic grandeur. The amazing Integratron is about 20 minutes away, and if you’re looking for a cool night out, the famed Joshua Tree Saloon is 10 minutes from the property, and at 20 minutes away is Pappy & Harriet’s in Pioneertown (which is worth visiting any time of the day or night for the incredible Wild West shows and ambience) which offers live shows by many cool bands, who sometimes just stop by and jam, especially during the Coachella Music Festival.
I would happily cater for you if you would like me to get flowers, gifts or special treats for celebrations. I can also help you plan your stay, reserve tables at good places like Pappy and Harriet's Pioneertown Palace, The 29 Palms Inn , Joshua Tree Saloon or even book your sound bath at the Integratron.
I’m really looking forward to meeting you and introducing you to the very considered and special retreat that is the studio at Helios House. Whether you’re just traveling through or looking to stay for a little bit longer, let’s talk – I know you’ll love it here. It’s peace, style, comfort and serenity personified.
You have access to the self contained studio with kitchenette, dining area and king size bed with a view. Your own fabulous, circular bathroom with a selection of organic products for your use, as well as your own patio space outside sliding doors.
There is also an outside lounge, meditation platform and a covered fire pit and chairs for your use. Stargaze and enjoy the fire (note: no fire if wind exceeds 7mpg). I provide kindling and a couple of logs. Bring more firewood if you'll use this a lot. There will be coffee, tea, salt, pepper, cooking oil, butter, marmelade, bread, fruit, eggs from the local farm, juice and some goodies in the fridge. It's for you. Enjoy it.
The kitchenette is fully equipped with a double hotplate, a toaster oven, full size fridge, coffee maker, pots, pans, plates, glasses, cups, cutlery and utensils - in short: Everything you need to make a nice meal.
The studio has air conditioning.
Parking on the property.
For photo shoots / movies and anything else similar contact me first for permission.
Washing machine is for people who stay 4 nights or more.
Check in is at 3 or by appointment only. I recommend arriving before sunset.
Interaction with guests:
I'll be happy to help with advise about the area, if you'd need any help or hints. I am to be found in the house next door. Contact me if you need anything at all.
It's lovely. Absolutely lovely! Ask me questions about this if you'd like to know more. In the village you can find locally owned cafe's, boutiques, thrift stores, plenty of antique stores and art galleries.
It is 12 minutes from the downtown village of Joshua Tree and because of this I get very little light pollution at night (perfect for star gazing). The studio is in a great location far enough away but close enough to several attractions. It is 5 mins from Noah Purifoy Outdoor Desert Art Museum, The Integritron is 10 mins away, and Giant Rock is a few more. 12 minutes to Joshua Tree National Park, Pioneertown and Pappy and Harriets is 20 minutes away, Joshua Tree Retreat Center ca 10 mins and the Dhamma Vaddhana S. Cal Vipassana Center is 15 minutes away. Let me know what you are interested in and I will point you in the right direction.
You will need a car. The place feels remote, but is only 13 minutes from Downtown Joshua Tree.
There are several airports you can fly into nearby (all times listed are approximate based on traffic)
Palm Springs, CA (PSP) – 45 minutes
Ontario, CA (ONT) – 1 hour 30 minutes
Orange County, CA (JWA) – 2 hours
Long Beach, CA (LGB) – 2 hours 15 minutes
Los Angeles, CA (LAX) – 2 hours 25 minutes
San Diego, CA (SAN) – 2 hours 35 minutes
Las Vegas, CA (LAS) – 3 hours 35 minutes
You have access to the studio and all it's amenities.
There is also a 2 burner Gas BBQ with 1 side burner for your use. I provide gas.
Stargaze in the outside lounge, by the outside dining space near the BBQ or relax by the covered fire pit. Enjoy! (note: no fire if wind exceeds 5mph). I provide kindling and a couple of logs. Bring more firewood if you'll use this a lot.
The kitchenette is fully equipped with a double hotplate, a toaster oven, fridge, coffee maker, pots, pans, plates, glasses, cups, cutlery and utensils - in short: Everything you need to make a nice meal. There will be coffee, tea, salt, pepper, cooking oil, butter, marmelade, bread, fruit, eggs from the local farm, juice and some goodies in the fridge. It's for you. Enjoy it.
Interaction with guests
I am always available to you if you need hints, tips or have questions about the area.
Other things to note
Se all my listings on my profile page, or here on my business page: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/users/1227949/listings
For photo shoots / movies and anything else similar contact me first for permission, or you will be turned away. No exceptions.
The studio is self contained with it's own outdoor areas, parking, amenities and entrance. The main house is rented separately, and laid out and triple layer insulated so that the units will hardly notice each other. Common sense applies!
You can rent both spaces. Contact me if you are interested in this. The house will in such cases sleep 6 (8).
Washing machine/dryer is for people who stay 4 nights or more, and is situated in the main house on the property.
The environment: You can drink the water on the property. It has been filtered through a charcoal filter.
I provide you with multi use water bottles and glass bottles with fresh water in the fridge to minimise single use plastic waste.
I also provide you with high quality amenities like natural shampoo and conditioner in refill bottles for the same reason.
Important. Please read:
Welcome to the Studio at Helios House. Here’s some house rules and necessary info:
• The fire pit is for your use. But make sure you don’t light it if it is too windy.( 5mph max – It’s the Law! - San Bernadino fire code) Let’s not start a wildfire. Remember you are in a desert. It’s dry out there. If you light it anyway, you pay the fire brigade fee, and eviction follows. Also extinguish chimea with water when done for the night. I supply a couple of logs. Bring your own fire wood if you'll use this a lot. The BBQ can be used any time. Gas provided
• Be mindful of the use of water.
• Always use a torch outside at night. I supply these. Be mindful of the dark and the critters. Remember to look up. There might be stars… ☺
• Turn of lights, Swamp Cooler and lock doors whenever you leave the property.
• If you break something, It has to be replaced. Let me know immediately, and we’ll come to an agreement. Everything in the house is vintage, so take good care.
• Make sure you always turn off the hotplate, fans, Swamp Cooler and heaters when not in use.
• There are roadrunners and burrowing owls nesting on the property. Make sure to never disturb them. Never feed or approach wildlife of any kind.
• No smoking inside. Smoke outside by the BBQ. There is an ash tray. Never not throw cigarette butts in the desert (fire hazard). Drown butts in a glass of water after use, and never leave ash in the desert. Smoking inside leads to instant eviction and a $100- extra cleaning fee. No exceptions!
• Please be quiet after 10pm. Sound travels far in the desert.
• ABSOLUTELY NO PARTIES!!! Parties leads to instant eviction and $100 extra fee. No exceptions.
• I inspect textiles after each guest, and clean everything properly between guests. For make up removal: Please use the cotton wool or pads provided. Unremovable stains means new textiles, and I will charge you as follows if stains does not come off in the wash: New sheet sets: $30. Bath towel: $5. Hand towel: $4, Wash cloth: $3. Robe: $15. For wine, tea and coffee stain on rugs, furniture and mattresses: The cost of cleaning or replacement by equivalent item. Any vandalism means that the guest cover replacement cost in full.
No pets, except service animals. Let's speak beforehand, and I'll send you a list of appropriate conduct. Pets are not allowed on furniture or beds. San Bernadino leash law applies: A dog needs to be on a leash at all times on unfenced property and public areas. Dogs are only allowed on established trails and on leash in the national park.
Contact me beforehand if you bring children, so I can brief you on children/desert sense. There is an extra $25 cleaning fee for children, as glassware and some items needs to be removed and put back again.
• No remote controlled aircraft (drones, quadcopter, etc.)
• No fireworks or fire-lanterns of any kind.
• No firearms on property. It is illegal to discharge firearms in this part of the desert.
• No off-road vehicles operated on the property. Off-road vehicles are only legal in designated OHV areas.
• No photography, film or video for commercial, professional or student use is permitted on the premises.
• Only registered guests allowed on the property (no outside guests without my consent and no camping outside of the units)
• Any violation of these rules may be subject to additional fees, immediate expulsion from premises and/or legal action.
• Enjoy yourself!!!
• Have a great stay! Ask me about the area, and please do enjoy the desert! For your own protection, I recommend wearing closed toe shoes at all times in the desert, and use a torch at night (you'll find these the premises). Thank you so much. :-)
My name is Tonelise. I am from Northern Norway and moved to Joshua Tree after 20 years in London. Music, art, writing, magic and friendships have taken me around the world.
I would not be the first person who fell in love with the desert, sold everything and hopped on a plane. I was lucky. I found my dream properties in North Joshua Tree. I am so happy to live here!
This is a fascinating place on earth! The wildlife, the views and the plant life is unlike any other, and the energy is unique. I swear it's something underfoot or in the water.
I love sharing the wonders of this place with guests. I am a 5 star airbnb Super Host, and I am very much looking forward to have you as a guest so you too can experience the beauty, the peace and the space in this part of the desert. Some of my guests have moved here. I understand. Maybe you will too? Or at least sincerely enjoy your adventures out here in the peace and quiet of North Joshua Tree.
I am looking forward to hearing from you. Get in touch!