Come stay in our expansive 280 sq m (3,010 sq ft) modern three-level apartment. Unwind while you take in the panoramic city and Table Mountain views or cool off in the private heated splash pool high above the rooftops. Central, within walking distance of top restaurants and lively bars. Close to all that this vibrant city offers, yet in a quiet historical neighborhood with beautiful architecture and the great outdoors on your doorstep. Ideal for living like a Capetonian!
This modern apartment is set against the slopes of Lion's Head above the city and has a feeling of calm and spaciousness. Plunge into the heated splash pool or flop into a couch in one of the large lounge areas and feel yourself relax as the views of Table Mountain above you and the city below welcome you.
We are proud to be one of the twelve named by The Inside Guide as the "Hottest Airbnb Accommodation in Cape Town".
With 280 sq m (3,010 sq feet), the apartment offers living on three levels:
• On the ground floor, the peaceful bedroom and the en-suite bathroom are snugly tucked away. Nestled below street level, it looks out onto a small courtyard with a fish pond.
• On the first floor, the open-plan kitchen, dining and sitting area opens onto a barbecue deck. This level has airconditioning.
• On the second floor, the private splash pool has a deck, TV lounge and views to top those from the floor below. The pool is heated to a comfortable temperature in summer but is not a hot tub.
Both the first- and second-floor lounges offer panoramic views of Table Mountain, Devil's Peak and the central city below. Slide open the surrounding floor-to-ceiling glass doors to create an inside-outside living experience during the summer. Or, in winter, you can watch the drama of the Cape of Storms from the cozy comfort of the couch.
On balmy summer nights, you can sip cocktails on the deck while enjoying the city lights, or put something tasty on the excellent outside gas barbecue before a meal under the stars.
The house consists of two apartments, the guest apartment and ours, each with a separate entrance.
You have full access to the whole rental apartment over three levels, as pictured in the listing. The entrance to your apartment on the street level opens onto the first-floor cooking, dining and sitting space with balcony and outside barbecue. Stairs from this living area take you down to your bedroom on the ground level, or up to the pool deck with the pool and TV lounge on the second floor.
The other apartment, where we live, is accessed through a side entrance and is on the ground and basement levels.
There is ample free, safe and well-lit parking in the street right in front of the main entrance.
You'll enjoy unlimited Wifi access to fiber broadband at 20/20 Mbps, enough for UHDTV.
Via Apple TV, you have access to iTunes TV programs, movies and music, Netflix, YouTube and a host of other international content providers. You can simply sign into your own account, or if you don't have accounts, you can use ours and pay per view for iTunes paid content. (Netflix is always free and unlimited.)
Interaction with guests
We will welcome you, show you around the apartment and orientate you to the surroundings. At check-in, if you like, we can make recommendations about visiting Cape Town, or if you prefer, you can consult the local information in our welcome pack.
If you are interested in going on sightseeing tours, you can also chat about that to Jaco, who is a qualified tour guide with in-depth local knowledge. He can put together a bespoke tour just for you, and you can change your itinerary on the fly on the day.
After the orientation to the apartment, we will leave you to enjoy your stay in privacy but also love interacting if you reach out and we have free time.
Should there be something you need to make your stay more relaxing and comfortable, you may contact us at any time, and we should be able to respond quickly, as we live in the other apartment in the house. We usually set up a (SENSITIVE CONTENTS HIDDEN) group specifically for your visit.
For longer stays, a cleaning service visit once a week or more if requested can be added to the cleaning fee.
Other things to note
• As mentioned, Jaco can take you on tours if you are not used to driving on the left or don't feel like a bus full of strangers. Options include the city center, the Cape Peninsula including Cape Point, the Cape Winelands and other beautiful places. If you are doing a tour of the wineries and enjoy wine, with him behind the wheel you can do more wine tasting ;-) Alternatively, we can give you advice on self-drive routes.
• We are in a safe neighborhood with an active neighborhood watch. The house itself has an alarm system which is linked by radio to City Bowl Armed Response, a private security company. Safety should not be a concern and we feel comfortable walking in the neighborhood at night. We would advise you however not to leave any valuables in the car.
• Let us know if you need more flexibility with check-in and check-out times and we will accommodate you if possible. Also no problem if you would like to drop off luggage before check-in or leave it here and pick it up after check-out.
• The splash pool is heated but is not what people from the US call a "hot tub" and what we call a "jacuzzi", with jets and bubbles. But you can ask us to set the temperature for you as desired up to a maximum of 32 degrees C/90 degrees F.
Please look after our space like you would after your own and respect the neighbors.
• Cape Town is facing a drought. Please try to save water by limiting how long you shower, not leaving taps running, and collecting fuller loads in the dishwasher and washing machine. Use “eco” settings.
• For the sake of the environment and because we sometimes have electricity shortages in South Africa, please also try to save electricity. Please switch off lights, heaters and the airconditioner if you are going out. (It is okay to leave the entrance hall lights on when you go out at night. The energy-saving outside lights in front of the house automatically switch on at night.)
• You are welcome to entertain but big parties and events are only allowed by prior arrangement. Please don't play loud music late at night that might disturb the neighbors.
• Smoking is only allowed outside. Please dispose of butts in ashtrays provided.
• No glass at the pool - please use plastic glasses provided. The painted floor inside the pool lounge and the balcony tiles outside the main living room are slippery when wet, especially if one is barefoot or wearing shoes with smooth soles. PLEASE be careful.
Charl and I are a fun-loving professional couple who just feel so privileged living in this vibrant, world-class city. We love traveling all over the world but when we are home in Cape Town, it feels like we are on holiday because of the spectacular natural beauty on our doorstep, the relaxed vibe of this seaside city and the diversity of its friendly people.
We are people people - Charl is a psychotherapist - and enjoy spending time with our wonderful group of friends enjoying meals at our top-notch restaurants or entertaining at home. I have a background in fine arts, design and the hospitality industry, so I really enjoyed the challenge of designing and building this mountainside home from where we can enjoy everything the city has to offer.
When hosting, we really want everything to be top-class and I pay attention to every detail. We will leave you to enjoy your holiday in privacy but if you ask us, we would only be too happy to share our Cape Town tips for your vacation and hear more about your travels.