Mainland China: Extenuating circumstances for COVID-19
Updated 25 June 2020
This article explains coverage and requirements for COVID-19 related cancellations under our extenuating circumstances policy for reservations made by guests from mainland China for stays and Airbnb Experiences in mainland China. If a reservation has already begun (the check-in has passed), this extenuating circumstance does not apply. For any reservations except domestic reservations in mainland China, refer to our global COVID-19 extenuating circumstances article for coverage details. In order to cancel under the policy, you will be required to attest to the facts of, and/or provide supporting documentation for your extenuating circumstance.
What reservations are covered
The policy applies to reservations made by guests from mainland China for stays and Airbnb Experiences in mainland China. It allows for the cancellation of a reservation if all of the following are true:
- It is impacted by an official government travel advisory or restriction that prevents you from travelling from your departure place or to the destination and
- It was made on or before the date the advisory or restriction was announced and
- The check-in date is no more than 30 days ahead of the cancellation date
The policy does not apply to reservations that have already been cancelled:
- Before the date of applicable government announcements or
- Based on a mutual agreement between a host and guest
Take for example the Beijing COVID-19 cluster in June 2020. The People's Government of Beijing Municipality and the disease control department announced on 13 June 2020 that the risk levels of certain areas in Beijing were increased to medium or high. In this example, the policy does not apply to any cancellations made before 13 June 2020, or to bookings made after that date.
If your reservation is eligible, please contact us within 14 days of the date of cancellation. You’ll be asked to provide documentation that reflects the reason you cannot travel or host. We’ll review the documentation and get back to you. There may be delays given the current COVID-19 situation.
Documentation for impacted individuals
For both guests or hosts of stays and Airbnb Experiences:
- If the area you live in is marked as a COVID-19 medium or high-risk area defined by authorities, or if your Health Kit colour code shows red or yellow, you need to provide a screenshot of your Health Kit, official area risk level assessment announcement along with proof of residence, and/or proof of your location such as a screenshot of your map app
- If you have been diagnosed with COVID-19, suspected to have COVID-19, or quarantined because of COVID-19, you need to provide related medical proof or documentation provided by authorities
Documentation for area restrictions
If the area of a stay or an Airbnb Experience is restricted for travel due to COVID-19, the host needs to provide documentation of where the stay or Airbnb Experience is located. These include:
- Quarantine order by the local authorities
- Official travel restrictions or other COVID-19 related requirements by the local authorities
- The entry or exit restriction announcement or notification for the building or space
Documentation for other COVID-19 circumstances
- Proof of that your flight or ground transportation is cancelled by the transportation provider due to COVID-19 or relevant public policies
- Your employee badge or related documentation provided by your employer that shows your medical or disease control duties in connection with COVID-19
How it works
If you’re a guest, you can review your reservation’s cancellation policy and find cancellation options by choosing your trip from the Trips page. If your reservation is not covered, the host’s cancellation policy will apply as usual.
If you’re a host, you’ll find information in your hosting dashboard.
We encourage you to contact your host or guest to discuss cancellations and refunds.
We’ve curated articles to help our community during this time in the Resource Centre. You can find the latest information on our COVID-19 response, from policy updates to resources for hosts and guests.
You can also read the extenuating circumstances policy to learn about coverage of circumstances unrelated to COVID-19.
If you’re a host, we suggest you monitor local requirements on COVID-19 prevention and control. It’s recommended to communicate with your guest in advance and confirm the risk level of their origin and if they have the health status proof required on your end.
We ask that all community members be mindful of respect, inclusion and our Anti-Discrimination Policy when interacting with other members of our community.
We will continue to review the application of this policy. Please monitor this page for updates and new information.